"Winning has nothing to do with racing. Most days don't have races anyway. Winning is about struggle and effort and optimism, and never, ever, ever giving up."
















Monday, March 5, 2012

Call Me the Whistleblower

This weekend I had the opportunity to watch the movie, The Whistleblower.  Wow.  It's not one of those movies you walk away saying, "that was really good."  Rather, it's one of those movies you walk away saying, "wow, I can't believe this is happening.  I must do something about it."  The movie, The Whistleblower, is about a human trafficking ring in Bosnia that is being funded, protected, and engaged by U.S. personnel as well as members of the U.N. international police.  Throughout the movie, the main female police officer discovers that the U.N. is aware of the human trafficking ring, and are covering it up to prevent further war in Bosnia.  It's shocking to see these women, as slaves, and yet the ones who are supposed to be rescuing them are contributing to their nightmare.  It's so hard for me to believe that this is based on a true story...but it is.  It's one of those movies that forces you to ask the question, "now that I know about it, what am I going to do about it?"  I will be a whistleblower.  I will continue to blow my whistle, to raise awareness to the injustices of human trafficking that are taking place.  I cannot sit back and let it happen to my sisters all over the world.

And so it further encourages my pursuit of RunFreeMN.  This summer, I am taking 10 days, and I will be running 200 miles, across the state of Minnesota, to raise awareness and funds to help the fight against global human trafficking.  I will continue to push the issue.  I want people to know.  I want people to feel uncomfortable. I want people to know that people are hurting, while this industry is thriving.  I want to run, because they can't.  I want to run so they can be free.  I want to run because I know my trip can engage others in the story of hope. 

Throughout the month of March, I will be posting one statistic on human trafficking, along with a scripture verse relating to justice.

Will you be a whistleblower?  Please consider donating to my RunFreeMN trip here: https://ventureexpeditions.missionsconnex.com/BreeWilliamson

Thank you for believing in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment