"Winning has nothing to do with racing. Most days don't have races anyway. Winning is about struggle and effort and optimism, and never, ever, ever giving up."
















Monday, January 23, 2012

Week 2: Day 8

Jeremy and I made it through our first week on the E2 Challenge!  It will filled with creative recipes, and sometimes modge podge recipes, depending on how the fridge was stocked.

I am pleased to acknolwedge that it has not been nearly as difficult as I had imagined.  I was very concerned about sweet cravings, snacking, and simply being hungry.  I have noticed so many positive benefits to eating plant based, and it's only been 1 week.  Both Jeremy and I admitted to having more energy, which is great!  I have woken up feeling alert and refreshed!  When I start to crave sweet things, which still happens, I satisfy it with raisins or figs.  It is working, and I haven't strayed.  No meat, no dairy, no eggs, no oil.  But plenty of fruits, veggies, brown rice, and beans.  Lots and lots of beans!  Black beans, pinto beans, garbanzo beans,  and other multi-colored beans.

This week I made stuffed squash, see below:
Stuffed with brown rice, black beans, yellow peppers, and onions.  It was quite tasty, and extremely filling!  Jeremy even gave it a whirl.  As much as I wish he was, he is not a fan of squash, BUT, he did try it.  And he definitely ate everything but the squash.  I'm proud of his efforts, and beyond grateful for his partnership in this journey!

On Saturday, I was supposed to have a couple girlfriends over for a plant-strong "bring an item" dinner.  However, one of my girlfriends got sick, which meant it was my buddy Aileen, Jeremy, and myself.  We had "Cheesy" Kale chips (because obviously there wasn't any cheese on the kale chips), carrots and hummus and lentil dip, green lentil soup (which was fabulous), and cinnabon smoothies for dessert.  The lentil soup was much more satisfying than I had anticipated.  It was so good!  The best part is, everybody liked it! 

Having been gluten-free for years now, I am embarrased to mention that I have never tried quinoa.  Well, let me back up.  I've tried quinoa flakes, but that's it.  After 3 stops, I finally found quinoa, and am looking forward to trying it this week.

I am loving the energy I have from this eating lifestyle.  Not only do I have more energy, but I also feel better rested.  I have been waking up thinking, "I'm ready to be up!"  As opposed to my, "Is it really 4:15AM?!  Why do I do this?!"  I also started reading a book called Thrive.  It is about plant-based eating and optimal endurance sport performance.  It is so intruiging and inspiring to learn how endurance athletes not only survive, but THRIVE on a plant-based diet.

I also found a vegan restaurant in Minneapolis that I'd like to try--The Ecopolitan.  Has anyone been there?  They look like they are very good with gluten-free requests too!

Happy eating!

3 comments:

  1. My friend used to work at Ecopolitan and I have tried their smoothies and "tortilla chips" it was tasty but expensive. Also, it's an all raw place.

    You might also want to check out this blog
    http://www.nomeatathlete.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I will check that site out now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to eat at Ecopolitan all the time when I lived in SLP. Very yummy and great fresh juices! It is expensive but worth it!

    ReplyDelete