"Winning has nothing to do with racing. Most days don't have races anyway. Winning is about struggle and effort and optimism, and never, ever, ever giving up."
















Sunday, January 23, 2011

What Goes Around....Keeps Going Around

What goes around, keeps going around. At least that's the story I am sticking to in regards to yesterday. Knowing how cold the temperatures have been the past week, we decided it wasn't safe (or worth it for that matter) to take our long run outside. We have run in -10(windchill) before. But when it's -5 (airtemp), and the windchill hasn't been factored in yet-no thank you! As much as I love going outside, yesterday was a little too cold for me. So Heather and I went to TC Lifetime in an attempt to run 23 miles on the indoor track! I had had too many days on the dreadmill this past week, and knew I wouldn't be able to go for 23 miles on the dreadmill. so we decided to run the track. We broke it up into sections, run for an hour, stop for a minute to get drinks and nutrition, run for another hour, stop for a minute to refuel, run for 40 minutes, stop for a minute to refuel, and run the last 25 minutes. We ran for a total of 3 hours and 5 minutes (we stopped our watches on the refueling breaks). I estimated our time, and I am sure that we were running sub-8 minute miles, but I don't think we were holding 7:30s/mile the whole time. So based on that math, we feel confident saying we ran 23 miles. 7 1/2 times around the track is equivalent to one mile. That's 173 laps on the track, but who's counting?

The run was work, but a day after, I feel better than I have felt compared to any of our outdoor runs from weeks past. As proud as I am of getting this beast of a workout done, I am hoping to get outside more this week!

Next weekend is the Frozen Securian Half Marathon! I've never done an outdoor race longer than a 5k. I'm not hoping to be fast, just looking for a race experience, with community, and a good time! I am told it is an extremely hilly course. Results to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment