"Winning has nothing to do with racing. Most days don't have races anyway. Winning is about struggle and effort and optimism, and never, ever, ever giving up."
















Sunday, January 16, 2011

I Ain't Sayin It's Easy....

“The thing that most often determines success or failure is not skill but hard work and determination”

This week was another 56 mile week, tied with last week, I believe this is my highest mileage week. Monday I ended up sleeping in, which can be mentally defeating, to start a week off that way. Tuesday I met the group in St. Paul and we ran the two part hill 6 times. It had snowed on Monday night, so it was slick and tough to drudge through. It had not been plowed. My quads burned charging up that hill, but I felt accomplished to have completed the work I set out to do. It's just under 6 miles, doing the hill 6 times, so to the hill, 6 times up and down, back to the club, and around the block totaled a nice 7 miler workout. Brutal but beautiful. On Wednesday, Heather and I ran the Olie Run, plus the Stone Arch, and 10th St bridge for a nice 8 miler. Both of us felt like toast from the hill workout the day before. But we finished the 8 mile run, and were happy to have gotten the mileage. And to no avail, we ran the 12 mile U of M loop on Thursday. Again, not much time for recovery. Friday I set off to do a treadmill run, in hopes of running a little bit faster than I am able to do outside with the snow and ice. I ran 5 miles at the Target Center Lifetime, and a decent speed. It took me about 38 minutes to run 5 miles, which is a lot faster than I've been able to run outside lately.

On Saturday, we were supposed to do a 20 miler, but it snowed, and I was fearful that the sidewalks weren't going to be plowed early in the morning. So I decided to bail on the group, and sleep in. I was fortunate enough to have my friend Ginger come to Lifetime with me, and run next to me on the treadmill. As much as I dislike the treadmill, I was pleased with my workout. My longest run on a treadmill is only 8 miles. However, yesterday, I set a new record. I ran 12 miles on the treadmill. Lifetime got new treadmills with built in TV's. So I hooked up my ipod, and turned on the TV--talk about mental stimulation! Definitely helped pass the time. Neither Ginger or I could talk much while running; however, there is a comfort that can't be explained, simply by having a friend next to you. It creates a sort of comfort and peace, knowing there is someone next to you, who believes in you. So 12 miles. On the treadmill! I didn't run as far as the group who went outside, but I am so happy to have set a new personal record on the treadmill. I hope I don't have to do that again, but it's nice to know I've got it in me.

Today (Sunday), I met Heather at 7:00 (yeah, slept in), and we did the U of M loop again. So another 12 mile day. Two back to back days of 12 miles. And three 12 mile days this week.

Aristotle said, "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore,
is not an act but a habit.” My goal is to live a life of excellence, in everything that I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment