"Winning has nothing to do with racing. Most days don't have races anyway. Winning is about struggle and effort and optimism, and never, ever, ever giving up."
















Friday, February 10, 2012

Day 26: Two Days to Go!

We've reached day 26 of our Engine 2 eating, which has consisted of no meat, dairy, eggs, oil, and of course gluten!  Days have looked similar to this:

Breakfast: GF rolled oats stuffed squash with cinnamon.  Very filling, warm, and energizing.

Lunch: Spinach salad topped with edammame, yellow bell peppers, onions, cucumbers, carrots, quinoa, pinto beans, with fresh lemon juice to taste. 


Dinner: Romain lettuce wraps filled with onions, peppers, green lentils, and salsa, with garlicy brussel sprouts on the side.

I'm by no means going hungry these days!  I'm learning to fuel my body with quinoa/brown rice and beans/lentils/legumes, and I'm loving it!


Another dinner consisted of Salsa and black bean soup, with home made corn tortilla chips topped with Mrs. Dash Spicy Chipotle Seasoning.  Warms this soul, especially during the cold nights we've had this week.  From start to finish, this recipe took a whopping 15 minutes!  I love it!!!

Another favorite I've discovered....

Yep, you've guessed it!  Mashed cauliflower!! I added nutritional yeast, rosemary, salt and pepper.  I'm not a huge fan of cauliflower to begin with, but I thought I'd give this recipe a try!  I'm so glad I did.  It has quickly become a favorite.  Simply steam the califlower until it falls apart, drain, puree in blender, add nutritional yeast, rosemary, salt and pepper, continue pureeing, and done!  If the blender gets stuck, simply add a little water.  If you want an extra flaky crust, you can pop it in the over for about 20 minutes-DELISH!!!
All of this good eating has been coupled with awesome training runs.  Here's the week rundown so far:
Monday: 9 miles
Tuesday: 13 miles
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: 14 miles
Friday: We'll see...today is going to be a two-a-day kind of day.  I ran 9 miles this morning.  We'll see what lunch brings.  I'm hoping to have today count as my "long run" day, so I don't have to go long in the cold and fierce winds tomorrow.

All of this running, it is preparing my legs, my lungs, and my heart for my Run Free MN trip!  Some mornings are harder to roll out of bed than others.  I continue to remind myself that I'm running for reasons beyond myself.  As I put on the layers, and lace up my kicks, I pray for the women who are being trafficked.  As I drive to St. Paul to meet up with running buddies, I pray for a change of heart in the pimps organizing these trades.  And during many of my runs, I pray for the men who continue to fund this slavery.  And then I thank God that I am able to be a part of the solution.  The hope story.  Please consider supporting me here: https://ventureexpeditions.missionsconnex.com/BreeWilliamson  Thank you for believing that I can do this!!!

You too can be a part of the hope story!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Bree, i found your blog thru Suzie's. One question, with all your running does all the fiber take it's toll?:) I tend to shy away from that much fiber when iam running alot espec in the heat. I know all our bodies are different but I am afraid to try this!
    Great job, and good luck in your runs/race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi GoBigGreen, the fiber keeps me regular...that's for sure :) I haven't had any bathroom issues while on a run. And my insides have felt great on this diet. If you are a triathlete (which I am not), there is a great book called Thrive, on how to eat plant-based for endurance athletes. I read it, and highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely admire your dedication. Not just to running, but to taking the time and effort to eat a certain way. You make it seem so easy! :)

    ReplyDelete