"Winning has nothing to do with racing. Most days don't have races anyway. Winning is about struggle and effort and optimism, and never, ever, ever giving up."
















Monday, October 25, 2010

Life After Chicago

I'm now two weeks past the Chicago Marathon. Filled with total joy (and glee), upon qualifying for the Boston Marathon, I have been able to relax a bit more in regards to my training. I signed up for the Boston Marathon at 9:00AM last Monday when registration opened. DC and I both got in! I was sad to discover my friend Tracy did not sign up in time. I learned quickly that the registration closed in a record-breaking 7 hours! I have never heard of a race closing that quickly.

I have been maintaining easy mileage and comfortable paces the past two weeks. I will be hitting it hard (most likely the treadmill), come December/January, as my true training begins. As for now, I am simply maintaining 5-6 miles a day, a mid-week run of about 8 miles, and a longer run (and by longer, I don't mean that long), of 8-12 miles. I have found joy in running just to run. And if it turns out that I end up not being able to get out of bed a couple times a week-no big deal! It's nice to have some of that pressure removed. I typically don't do as much strength training in the heat of marathon training, simply because so much time is consumed by running. However, now that it's technically off-season for a couple months, I'm jumping back on the bandwagon. And for the record, yes I've been doing plyometrics and bear crawls (that's for you NCU Rams!) But BOY AM I SORE!!!!!!!!!!

For now, I'm enjoying to cool weather running, the low pressure that comes with being off-season, and ramping up my lifting schedule.

My next event is the Turkey Trot 5k, with my husband, brother-in-law, and sister-in-law. Should be a good time. I tried to get them to do a 10k, but they didn't want to. So instead, we are going to run to the start line, run the 5k, and run home. All in all, it should be about 5.5 miles :) We'll earn the bird for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment