"Winning has nothing to do with racing. Most days don't have races anyway. Winning is about struggle and effort and optimism, and never, ever, ever giving up."
















Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Long Road

On Friday morning I rolled out of bed at 5:00AM to prepare for my 16 mile run. This is my longest run so far this season. Prior to stumbling out the door, I chowed down on some food, just to get some carbs in me. I fastened my fuel belt full of Lemon Lime Powerade, and hit the road.

The first 8 miles of the run felt good. Even at mile 10, I was still feeling comfortable. Around mile 13, the humidity and heat started bothering me. At mile 14, I finally decided to make a quick stop at the local Byerly's to refill my belt with water. It was hot, and my body was craving fluids. After the water stop, my body felt a lot better, and I knew this run was going to be manageable.

My husband had a very important day on Friday, and I was determined to get home to pray with him before he had to leave the house. I knew what time he had to leave, and I knew I was within a five minute window, before he hopped in his car. Let me tell you, my last two miles of the run were my fastest miles! At a time when my body should be most tired, and ferocious energy swept over me--I had to get home.

I threw myself through the doors, to find my husband standing and waiting in the living room--he was literally waiting for me to walk in the door.

I was so happy I got to pray for him before he left!

After he left, I had a thought: If only I could have that kind of motivation on all my other long runs! I'd have a great finish every time! Next weekend holds a 17 miler in store for me, along with a VERY VERY busy weekend. Update to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment