"Winning has nothing to do with racing. Most days don't have races anyway. Winning is about struggle and effort and optimism, and never, ever, ever giving up."
















Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Relentless Pursuit

Last night I had a wonderful workout with my buddy and training partner, Trey. It's always a joy when you're sweating profusely, working hard, and you have someone next to you doing the same. Trey and I have had some good runs and some bad runs. Some non-stop runs, and some "stop and poop" runs. I appreciate his friendship, his insight, and his encouragement along all our routes. His passion for running and coaching only encourages me to want to be better.

I had the opportunity to connect with Tom Tisell yesterday, the 2nd consecutive winner of the Minneapolis Marathon (pretty good considering this race has only been in existence for 2 years!) It's pretty encouraging to talk with a man who can hold a 6:01/mile pace for 26.2 miles! I asked him his secret, and he said he doesn't do much hill work, but he tries to get a tempo run in once or twice a week. His daily mileage consists of running to and from work. 8 miles to work, 8 miles home. 16 miles a day! WOWZERS! After we talked, I was very energized, and very motivated to get in a tough workout!!

Last night the poison consisted of 5 miles of speed work, and 1 mile of hills (on a treadmill). Let me tell you, that is an easy way to exhaust yourself! I left the gym reminded that I am in a pursuit to become who God created me to be.

I am in pursuit. I am in a relentless pursuit. A pursuit to discover who God created me to be. I need to learn who this person is who God keeps insisting I already am. Although I do not find my identity in running alone, I do find that this integral part of my spiritual walk teaches me deep truths about myself and about God.

As I think about the rabbis in the day of Jesus, they chose their disciples based on the fact that they believed their students could become like them. And Jesus took twelve ordinary men, because he believed they could become like him! What a weighty idea for the church to follow after. As I think about this whole idea, they didn't choose Jesus, but he chose them, and told them to follow him. To think, that Jesus didn't get frustrated with their shortcomings, but rather their greatness; and the lack of faith they had in who God had created them to be.......So I am in this relentless pursuit of chasing after God and earnestly trying to receive heavenly eyes that see me, and others, as he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment