"Winning has nothing to do with racing. Most days don't have races anyway. Winning is about struggle and effort and optimism, and never, ever, ever giving up."
















Monday, December 13, 2010

Mr. Winter is Cramping My Style

I wish I could say that I love this snow...but truly, it is messing with my schedule. Not only did it affect multiple plans this weekend, but it is compromising my training schedule. Snow happens, I get that. But 18+ inches?! The plan was to do a 14-16 mile group run on Saturday with the folks in St. Paul. Friday night it was decided that nobody was going to be running outside. Some people decided to sleep in, some decided to run on the treadmill, while others decided to take group fitness classes for cross training. I fell among the group who decided to sleep in (and by sleep in, I mean 6:30AM). I got up, took a look outside and was disappointed to discover that I would not be running outside. But not only that, I would not be driving to St. Paul either. Needless to say, I did not do much of anything on Saturday. Could I have done the stairs in my building? Yes. Could I have done my TRX band? Yes. Could I have done P90X? Yes. Could I have done weight training with dumbbells? Yes. But, instead I decided to do nothing. Yes, nothing. I thought about all the things I could be doing, and still did nothing. My exercise for the day ended up being in trek through the knee-deep snowdrifts of Elliot Park to get to a friend's apartment to play Rook :) I think this was God's way of forcing me to slow down and take some mandatory rest. I don't know if I would have done so on my own accord.

Sunday I got to celebrate Christmas early with my brother. Since we won't be with my family on Christmas day, I got him his present early. We went to Run n Fun (my favorite store), and he got fitted for running shoes! He left with Brooks 'The Beast' shoe. So the obvious next step was to head over to the Lakeville Lifetime, and test them out! I ran a fast 3 miles, and then we went on to lift. We did a few of my exercises, and a few of Chad's. Needless to say, I am more than a little sore! I think I made up for my lack of movement on Saturday :)

Along with all this snow came the collapse of the metrodome. I am sad for the Vikings, but I am more sad that the MDRA will no longer be hosting running inside the dome on Tuesdays and Thursdays, until it's fixed. That is a bummer!

This morning, in an effort to beat the winter blues, I huffed it to the lightrail to get to Lifetime this morning. I ran a little over 5 miles, and then rocked Bootcamp. Bootcamp was all legs today...I know I'm going to be loving that one tomorrow. I'm sure my legs with thank me for the work I've put them through, come Boston!

No comments:

Post a Comment