"Winning has nothing to do with racing. Most days don't have races anyway. Winning is about struggle and effort and optimism, and never, ever, ever giving up."
















Monday, September 20, 2010

The Final Countdown

I have begun the final countdown to my third running of the Chicago Marathon. Race date is 10/10/10. How do you forget a date like that?! The countdown has become official, because I have successfully logged my last 20 mile run! Through my training I have completed two 20 mile runs, one 22 mile run, and a few 18-19 mile runs. It feels really nice to have the last 20 miler completed. My "long" run next weekend is 13 miles. That is most definitely doable!

As mentioned in previous posts, Jeremy has been my biggest supporter during these long runs. When I'm with him, I don't need music, I don't need anything. I know I can complete the task at hand when he's there. My anxiety goes away during the runs, and I maintain my confidence and strength, as he encourages me, and passes me powerade and sport beans!

I started my 20 mile run yesterday at 8:00AM. For those of you who know me, this is sleeping in for me! I usually like to start my runs around 5:00AM! But due to the cooler weather, I knew it wouldn't be terrible to start later. We hopped on the greenway (bike path) and ran all the way (past St. Louis Park), into Hopkins, and then turned around and came back. The greenway is great for many reasons. One, it's completely flat, which makes for a somewhat comfortable run. Two, you don't have to deal with traffic, and stopping at stoplights. Third, there are actual lanes (for bikers and runners), to ensure no accidents occur on the path!

I finished the run in 2 hours and 37 minutes, and held an average pace of 7:52/mile. Again, I think that time could be slower due to all the underpasses on the greenway (my garmin loses satelite reception). Regardless, I am VERY happy with that time. If I can maintain an 8:00/mile pace at Chicago I will be pleased.

As of right now I am spending a lot of time trying to prepare mentally! I feel like the Lord has really blessed my training this season. I have had no injuries, no flare-ups with my knee. I have had a mental toughness that I don't remember having before. I don't feel like God has given me as many sermon ideas, as I've experienced in past training seasons; however, I do believe that I have been able to experience His presence, and His peace while running. And I am incredibly thankful for that! My prayer is that as I run, God would be exaulted in my body. That my discipline, my heart, my passion, and my worship would bring Him great joy!

Last year the Chicago Marathon was the only thing holding me back from getting married. This year, the marathon is the only thing holding me back from my 1 year anniversary cruise!!!

Bring on 10/10/10!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment